Describe one element of your social media presence that you can use to support the brand you want your potential employers to see. How does this element demonstrate the elements of P.R.I.C.E or some soft skills? Support your response with at least one external resource.
· According to Rockcontent.com, “a social media presence is denied as the frequency with which an individual, company, or other entity posts to their platform(s) of choice and engages with other uses there, (Hilson, 2021). When thinking about my presence on social media in combination with this definition, I would consider my social media presence as unsignificant. What I mean to say is, I don’t spend much time on social media these days, especially as I get older. I’d say I mainly use social media for memes, and if I’m feeling particularly feisty, I like to fact check statements and information found on these platforms.
Describe one element of your social media presence that could negatively affect the impression potential employers have of you (your brand). How does this element impair your goal to present yourself as a professional?
· One element of my social media presence that could negatively affect an impression from potential employers would likely be some of the memes that I share online. I tend to have a dry, semi-dark sense of humor and being in nursing for the past ten years (working closely with others who share my sense of humor), which means that sometimes I share things that I find funny and that the group of people I’m friends with would think is funny but may be inappropriate to others.
· I would also say that if employers went back far enough in photos I share online, they might see some examples of me when I’m not so professional. When I initially started looking for nursing jobs after obtaining my LPN, I did try to go through those albums to pull out photos that are from when I was young and dumb but kept some for the memories of it all. For the most part though, my social media accounts are marked as private, so it does add a layer of security to my personal life.
Describe two tasks you can perform to strengthen and/or improve your brand using social media. Support your response with at least one external resource.
· Establish clear, achievable goals. According to indeed.com, you should have a goal before posting on social media, (indeed editorial team, 2022). To me, since this a personal account, this is how I want to present myself to the world. My goal in my career is to educate and empower patients to take control of their health. When I post online, if I am sharing anything that is political or health based, I research the items first. Before I share anything, I want to be sure that I can back up my statements. Barriers to this would be that people are going to disagree and likely argue with statements, without necessarily having any proof to back up their points. To me, this means that no matter what I say or do, they are not going to change their minds.
· Indeed.com also encourages establishing and maintaining my presence online. This will help engage followers and potentially lead employers to me. The problem with this, for me anyway, is that I don’t post a ton on social media. It has become an area for me to get a few laughs in and for me to share photos with friends and family.
Hilson, Shannon. 8/2021. 9 Easy Tips for Building a Strong Social Media Presence. Building Your Social Media Presence With These 9 Easy Steps (rockcontent.com) Links to an external site.
Indeed Editorial Team. (3/2022). 14 Effective Ways to Grow Your Social Media Presence. 14 Effective Ways To Grow Your Social Media Presence | Indeed.com Links to an external site.