1. What are the criteria for a substance use disorder?
2. If your client asked you “What is the difference between substance abuse and substance dependence? ” How would you explain (teach) the difference to them? referring to ATI?
3. Many people are described as having a dual diagnosis. What does that mean?
and how would that impact your nursing treatment of that person?
How would you go about prioritizing what issue you would treat first?
4. Many people have a substance abuse disorder yet so many people are not identified or treated for this disorder. What are some reasons cited in the text regarding failure to detect substance abuse disorders and failure to provide treatment?
5. Review some methods used to screen for substance abuse disorders? What is CAGE?
6. What is the legal limit of blood alcohol content with a breathe device? What is the level that could cause death? Is that true for everyone? can the levels change? why or why not?
7. Explain briefly what is alcohol withdrawal? what happens in the body?
What is the treatment course for alcohol withdrawal? is it life-threatening? What is the most significant concern with alcohol withdrawal?
8. What medications are used when a person is going thru active withdrawal from alcohol?
How long does withdrawal typically last?
What are the common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal?