Read the assigned reading from the chapter. Then choose ONE of the questions below to answer. Answer the question you chose in a response that is a minimum of 1-2 paragraphs.
Be sure to explain your answers and give reasons for your views. You should cite the textbook and use brief quotations and summaries from the textbook in your response. Do NOT use any other sources besides the textbook.
- Do you agree with the expression theory of art? Is art simply an expression of feelings? Is abstract art an expression of feelings?
- Does an art object have to serve a function to be art? Are art objects valuable in themselves, without any functions? Explain.
- Answer the question on page 337 concerning controversial art.
- Critique Arthur Danto’s institutional theory of art. One criticism of it is that if people in the artworld define what is and is not art, then there seems to be no way for the decision-makers to decide among themselves what is art. Is this a fair criticism? Why or why not?
- According to Aristotle, what emotions should a tragedy evoke? What is the point of evoking them?
- Explain Hume’s view on art and the standard of taste. Do you agree with Hume that some people are more keenly attuned to art objects and that their aesthetic sensibilities are more “delicate”? Or, is he just being a snob?
Note: All journal entries must be submitted as attachments (in Microsoft Word format) in order to generate an originality report.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!