Pharmacology Case Study
As an advanced practice nurse, it is your responsibility to recommend appropriate treatment options for patients with cardiovascular disorders. To ensure the safety and effectiveness of drug therapy, advanced practice nurses must consider aspects that might influence pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes such as medical history, other drugs currently prescribed, and individual patient factors.
Reference: Murphy, S. L., Xu, J., Kochanek, K. D., & Arias, E. (2018). Mortality in the United States, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db328.htm
· Review the Resources for this module and consider the impact of potential pharmacotherapeutics for cardiovascular disorders introduced in the media piece.
· Review the case study assigned by your Instructor for this Assignment.
· Select one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
· Reflect on how the factor you selected might influence the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes.
· Consider how changes in the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy.
Case study assigned:
Patient AO has a history of obesity and has recently gained 9 pounds. The patient has been diagnosed with hypertension and hyperlipidemia. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
· atenolol 12.5 mg daily
· doxazosin 8 mg daily
· hydralazine 10 mg qid
· sertraline 25 mg daily
· simvastatin 80 mg daily
· Think about how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan based on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes. Reflect on whether you would modify the current drug treatment or provide an alternative treatment option for the patient.
Write a 3-page paper that addresses the following:
· Explain how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics processes in the patient from the case study you were assigned.
· Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples.
· Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!