In this era where reporting a child’s progress is a top priority of schools and centers across the nation, portfolios are a supportive, comprehensive alternative approach to report cards and are widely used in early childhood education (Wortham & Hardin, 2016). As leaders in the field, you have the responsibility of ensuring that the proper reporting tools are used and that they are used effectively. That is the basis for this assignment.
As an ECE administrator, you are putting together a proposal to persuade your district or child-care company to gain funding for a new portfolio system. Your proposal will not only compare and contrast two portfolio options, but will also defend why your rationale for choosing one of them as being the best fit for your school or center. Use Toulmin’s model for constructing your defense/argument.
For your proposal, you will:
- Summarize both the pros and cons of Teaching Strategies GOLD and another portfolio system of your choice (e.g. Lifecubby).
- Defend which portfolio system you feel would be the best fit for your school or center. In your rationale, be sure to explain how the portfolio system aligns with your philosophy of education and, therefore, your school or centers.
- Describe the chosen type of portfolio system (working, evaluative, showcase, archival, or a combination of these) and its purpose.
- Explain how your chosen portfolio system can encompass both content-area information as well as growth in each of the developmental domains, and describe what will go in the portfolio. Provide a rationale.
- Propose how you, as the administrator, will ensure that your staff implements the system with fidelity, meets your expectations, and has their training needs for implementation and carry-through of the new system upheld.
Research and Resource Expectations:
- Source Requirement:
- At least two scholarly peer-reviewed or credible sources
Writing and Formatting Expectations:
- Title Page: Must include the following:
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Academic Voice: Academic voice is used (avoids casual language, limited use of “I”, it is declarative).
- Purpose and Organization: Demonstrates logical progression of ideas.
- Syntax and Mechanics: Writing displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- APA Formatting: Papers are formatted properly and all sources are cited and referenced in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Assignment Length: Your paper should be three to four pages in length (not including title and reference pages).