The market power leads to deadweight loss (DWL). Therefore the government should always
restrict market (monopoly) power. In addition, in order to be fair for every industry or market,
the market power should be regulated to the same degree. Argue for or against this
statement using both economic theory and real life examples.
Economics essay structure:
Page 3 of 6
The report is divided into sections, often something like this:
• Briefly indicate the economic theory you would apply to support your work.
• At the end of this section, briefly summarize the contents of the rest of the essay,
section by section.
Expectation: stimulating introduction that is concise and written clearly to encourage the
reader to read the remainder of the essay. It contains the structure of the essay telling the
reader briefly what is discussed in each section of the essay.
Section 2: Main body (You need to name section 2)
• Decide on the most logical order of your paragraphs: there should be several
subsections (denoted as Section 2.1, 2.2, etc.)
• Application of economic theories, critical analysis of government intervention
• Within each subsection, application about the economic theory, discussion of related
empirical examples, critical analysis of government interventions, etc. should be
Section 3: Conclusion
Explain the significance key points supporting your argument.
Expectation: conclusion is logical and concisely summarising the analysis and/or findings. The
conclusion should not include any new information.
Section 4: Reference
A list of the resources that you have referred to in the essay must be provided, ordered
alphabetically by the first author’s last name.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!